Sunday 28 May 2017

Day2 May 14th

A fine morning to set off walking today, warm, dry and clear, perfect walking conditions, this was hopefully going to be the start of three days of
                                              "walking in a walker's wonderland"........
A short road walk and you soon approach the start of a walk alongside Ennerdale Water, you can take north or south route, I took the south, a pleasant stroll of roughly 2 miles, then a good stretch through the valley until I reached Black Sail Hut, a youth hostel at the end ot the valley, one of the remotest YHA properties there is. There were quite a number of people sitting having lunch here, seemed a good idea to have mine, so thats what I did. I slipped off my rucksack, popped inside the hut into the back, there was a pricelist sign, noticed cup of tea £1, asked the guy standing with his back to me at the sink for a cuppa please, "sugar and milk", "just milk please mate", "will bring it out for you", "cheers mate". Went and sat on a bench with others out there, eating my lunch when this guy came out with teas and coffees, had my cuppa from him. I handed him a £1 coin, he said whats that for, I said for my cuppa, "thats alright fella, Ive put a tenner in for all us lot" oh shit, what a bloody idiot I felt, everything inside is done on a self service honesty policy, he was a member of the group I was sitting with. Anyhow, I made sure my quid went into the coffers inside.
Ennerdale Water

Ennerdale Water

Ennerdale Water

Ennerdale Water

Long but pleasant walk from Ennerdale Water down the valley

Approaching Black Sail Hut
Lunchtime at Black Sail Hut with "waiter service"!!!
Leaving Black Sail Hut you walk a short distance then its a steepish climb alongside Loft Beck, soon reaching the flat expanse on top. It's then easterly then northernly to reach the Honister Pass and the visitors centre at the slate mine. This was a scenic walk taking in grand views of Lakeland all around me, making the most of it, you never know whats in store the days afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!!
After the slate mine it was a lovely gradual ascent down the pass into Seatoller (Borrowdale) to our accommodation for the night, Glaramara House.
Starting ascent alongside Loft Beck

Looking up Loft Beck
Getting higher and higher

Grand views on top of fells, Ennerdale Water and Buttermere can be seen

panaramic views over Lakeland
 
Honister slate mine visitor centre

Down the Honister Pass
View from our window, Glaramara House. I think acceptable is being a bit unkind.

No comments:

Post a Comment