Tuesday 30 May 2017

Day 10 May 22nd

So the day started by a gradually upward road then track out of Osmotherley, this eventually met the C2C path which at this stage follows the Cleveland Way path for quite a number of miles along the north edges of the North York Moors. The weather kept fine today, warm, sunny, cool breezes occasionally but most of all clear skies and views. For quite a way the trail goes through woodlands, and these were a nice contrast to the open moorland later in the day.
Looking back down the approach track up to C2C path

C2C/Cleveland Way path, and off we go.
I was making good progress, I walked off and on with a middle aged couple, pleasant and talkative but they tended to stop too often for me, we did come together for lunch though, at an outdoor visitor centre, Lordstones. Here I bought a pot of tea, had a huge piece of fruit cake with me to eat, being eyed up by somewhat hungry watchers,
Couldn't resist giving them some cake
they were so close I got the impression they could have eaten from your hand, they seemed so used to people. The walk was turning into a good old roller coaster of a ride, I never realised there would be so many ups and downs, quite steepish at times, I don't tend to mind these type of walks, long may I feel like that. The ups and downs led me all the way to the days last landmark, the Wainstones, a well known outcrop of rocks, here I had a short rest and a quick bite to eat and drink. I then phoned my digs for the night, the Buck Inn at Chop Gate, you phone when you reach the Wainstones they then give you 30 minutes or so to get down to the roadside, Here someone comes, picks you up and drives you the few miles to the pub, quite a lot of b&b's offer this service at this area. He was on time, I was only waiting 5 minutes or so.
One thing occured this evening when me and Liz were dining in the pub, I had my back to this table where an American couple were sitting, they were discussing the menu. They were undecided about a couple of the dishes, so Mick here turns slightly and suggests one of the German dishes that were on, I was enjoying mine. They thanked me and thats all that was said, until tomorrow morning...............
Random photos of the days walk




Well flagged paths for long stretches

Wainstones at top of hillside

Wainstones

No comments:

Post a Comment