Tuesday 30 May 2017

Day 8 May 20th

Back walking solo today, I said my goodbyes to Jo and Lew, they were travelling back home via a day in the Lake District. I heard later that it rained most of their day, a shame as I found out myself 4 or 5 days ago. Anyway, me and Liz were stopping in Richmond tonight, a town we were looking forward to seeing, we weren't disappointed, it was lovely.
Setting off from Reeth I had a few miles of road walking, not always the best thing to be doing, but it was earlyish in the morning, quiet and not many people about. I soon arrived at Marrick Priory an old Benedictine nunnery, its now an outdoor education centre for young people. Close by here you finally leave the road to climb a series of steps leading to the village of Marrick, this was a pleasant walk leading through Steps Woods. Then it was a fair bit of fields and pastures leading to a small village, Marske, then onto an area called Applegarth, this seemed to be ending of the Yorkshire Dales for me, soon reaching Richmond.

A few random photos taken between Reeth & richmond






 Instead of just walking to Richmond, I walked a further 4 miles to Brompton in Swale, this was to shorten what would have been a walk about 25/26 miles the next day. Arriving in Richmond I knew I had nearly 3 hours to get to Brampton, no problem at all, so first I called at the nights b&b, left my rucksack, took a bottle of water, rainproof shell and my wallet and made my way out of town. I followed a cycle track alongside the river, a nice relaxing stroll, only thing was, I forgot all sense and time and went past a turning I should have got off at. Rather than double back on myself, I looked on my map, there was an alternative way, similar distance, so I headed for a small place called Easby, passing by a fine looking abbey, then a long stretch of bridleway led me onto the road for Brampton. I reached the bus stop for a bus into Richmond, an hour to spare. "Farmers Arms", "Black Sheep", "pint of" "public house". Rearrange these last few words in order and you know how I spent 50 minutes waiting for my bus.
The evening was spent in town with friends Deborah and David who had travelled up for the weekend to meet us. A few pints and a real nice meal, a good way to spend a saturday night, then bedtime for me, a long day still ahead for me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment