Wednesday 31 May 2017

Day 12 24th May

Last year in june, on the morning of my last leg of the Pennine Way, Liz came to me, we hugged each other, "I'll be waiting in Kirk Yetholm for you, take care, love you". Today that emotion we both felt last year wasn't there, still a kiss and hug before I left, keep safe and that, which is the usual, but it just wasn't me finishing "My Challenge" which last year certainly was.
We went on our differring journeys for the day, she was taking our dog Mojo to the seaside, they had a good day as she filled me in later as usual of her daily travels.
I walked a very short way, before I picked up the trail proper I made time to take a few photos of probably the most beautiful packhorse bridge I've seen. Beggars Bridge, on the very outskirt of Glaisdale crossing the River Esk, there is a plaque closeby telling a lovely story about its origins. I won't tell you what it is, (google "Beggars Bridge, Glaisdale" and take a look.
Beggars Bridge

Beggars Bridge
I joined the trail, making my way steadily up through Arncliff Woods, walking on the Esk Valley Walk leading me then through Egton Bridge and into Grosmont. A really nice start to the day, calm, tranquil, sunny but not too hot, a pleasant start.
Alongside the River Esk
I had read in various trip reports of the C2C that you get to Grosmont then there is a real buggar of a climb getting out the village, I usually find that these are somewhat exagerrated................. but not in this case. I walked a short way, steep yes, not that far actually, I turned right onto the next road, steep, no very steep for a road, but its not that far before I turn right again, thats going to be ok, exagerrated as usual............. it was a bloody grueller, the heat of the sun now beating down, it eventually levelled out onto the moors, thank god thats done for.
Leaving Grosmont, way down in the valley
Nearly at the top
 After gaining all the height there is then a further stretch on the same road, soon crossing moors on your left to make your way to the main Pickering to Whitby road.
Shortly before the main road, Pickering to Whitby

A few hundred yards further, you cross the road and turn east to take you down an hillside leading to a lovely small village, Little Beck where you then have a wonderful 2 mile hike through Little Beck Woods. Me and Liz have walked down here when holidaying in Yorkshire, it really is a nice spot. Here you come across The Hermitage, a huge boulder that someone carved out hollow,you then come across Falling Foss, a very scenic waterfall. Here is also a rest area, a place to get food and drinks, I was making very good timing so I had a pot of tea for one, 2 or 3 cups to refresh me, just the job to carry me through to the finish.
Falling Foss

The Hermitage
A further short half mile or so and you reach the end of this wood, you then more or less double back on yourself to walk parallel along a tarmac road to reach more open moors, after this the moors are gone. The path through these moors take you into the village of Hawsker, with only another 5/6 miles to go, I sat at a bench and had lunch. I was joined by a woman and her 9 year old son. They were from Texas, she told me that this was her second C2C, she had previously done it with another son who was then 12. I soon went, leaving them to enjoy the afternoon sun, it had got quite hot now, but not by Texan standards, as her son had pointed out to me. It was now just a matter of not falling or tripping up and I would be finishing well inside the next two hours. A short stretch of road, then through a caravan park, (where you were kindly asked not to peer inside any caravan windows)!!!! If you don't want people to do something, don't they bloody realise, don't give them a bloody invite to, what bloody idiots, oh well, I preffered looking out at the sea not far away now. I reached the cliffside path, turned south and made my way towards Robin Hoods Bay. I walked nearly all that way with a nice old fellow who was staying close by, he was making his way back from Whitby, he'd walked this morning, had lunch in Whitby then made his way back. Pleasant chat, interesting stuff he was telling me, walking slowed down, I wasn't bothered, timing it to meet Liz, no need getting there too early. A nice stroll soon brought me to the end of the clifftops, goodbyes and well dones were said as I left my companion of the last hour.
Lovely cliff top walk to finish 12 lovely days walking



I made my way down the winding street to the bottom of the village, I got there just before Liz, sorry Liz, but its obviously your fault, timekeeping and punctuality isn't your strongest point ha ha. As I waited for a few minutes I used the time to send text messages, one to Lew, one to my three daughters to let them know I'd arrived safe and sound and one to my mate John back home, I told him he would be informed. Liz arrived, and just how we left this morning, no real emotion like last year, we had a hug and kiss and congratulations, had a half hearted attempt by Mojo to greet me. One thing  that pleased me, the tide was in, right up to the quayside, no further 100 yard walk out to the sea, because just as tradition as it at the start, you splash in the water to clean your boots. That was ironic actually, the boots were clean, Ive walked for 30 minutes up on Kinder Scout, got covered in peat and mud, here I've walked 12 days and not a touch of mud. Thats it then, we had an overnight stop in Hawsker, had a nice celebratory meal and a couple of pints in the local pub, work to do now Liz, what and when is the next long distance to arrange......................
I've only been for a walk

Thanks Jane, next time can you put a opener in the package please

No comments:

Post a Comment