Sunday 28 May 2017

Day 3 May 15th

A rainy start to the day, to be expected when you do these long distance walks, accommodation all booked months ago, you can't pick and choose when you walk. Oh boy, what a pity you can't do that. This 15/16 mile walk was always going to be tough, 3,500 feet climbing to be done over two high fells, I started off and soon was walking my way up to Greenup Edge, climbing the path alongside Stonethwaite Beck leading to Greenup Gill, the views I must admit were fantastic, with all the rain that had been falling, waterfalls up the streams were full and raging, truly marvellous sight. The rain was making life rather difficult though, as I was passing people on the way up, even at this short time into the days walk, some were on about turning back, things were getting difficult.
Shortly before I reached Greenup Edge I again met Shawn and Vitrold from day 1, I'm pleased to say it made me a bit more happier. We made our way over Greenup Edge, covered in mist, raining cats and dogs and with a small ammount of luck we navigated our way over to Grasmere Common. I had never seen anything like it, water was gushing down any incline, north, south, east and west, about a dozen walkers seemed to be wandering around aimlessly trying to get across the water, all around you were walking in bog, the ground had became totally sodden, you risked life and limb jumping, wading, stepping stone your way through. Once we had got to find a somewhat recognisable path, I had to say my goodbyes to my walking partners, they were stopping in Grasmere, I had double their distance today, they understood.
I reached the main Grasmere to Keswick road, I found the path to take me alongside Tongue Gill, checked GPS on my mobile, shit, not working, damp had got to my phone, I could still read map on my mobile and had my compass, as long as I stayed on the path and carefully navigated myself around Grisedale Tarn on top I would find the valley down into Patterdale. Sounds simple enough, maybe it would have been a pleasure on a nice day, today though was not a nice day. The climb alongside Tongue Gill was steep, then it got very steep, it was getting more mistier as I got higher, I'm sure it even got steeper the closer I got to the tarn. At first when it levelled out I couldn't even see the tarn, it was so misty. I followed the tarn as far its north east corner, through the mist I could make out a small rectangular shape, obviosusly manmade, please let it be where Brothers Parting Stone is. It was, thank god for that, I must admit it was getting rather scary. Brothers Parting Stone by the way, its supposed to be where Wordsworth, the famous Lakeland poet and his brother had the parting of their ways. I approached the large rock, went round to the front of it facing the valley, I was Ok, barring having still a number of miles to get into Patterdale, I was at the top of the valley, just keep going down and you are safe. Believe me, that is how I felt, safe. By the rock, I was surprised, surprised to see a couple sheltering from the rain, a lovely couple, rain soaked but people, people I was so happy to see. We had a brief, very brief chat, they told me they were from Colorado, our paths would cross again. I left them, making my way downwards, no sight of a path whatsoever, I couldn't really care less, I was going down and to safety. The mist started to clear as I got lower down, still no sign of a recognisable path, then I caught sight of a footbridge I knew I had to cross. I got there, crossed then followed a track into Patterdale. Earlier in the morning I said to Liz that it would be a tough day for me, probably take me about 8 hours to walk, expect me no sooner than 5:00 PM in the pub, I got there 5:02, by hook or by crook I managed it. Today, without a shadow of a doubt was my hardest days walk ever, by a country mile. Sorry but no photos, too wet to mess about with cameras or phones, plus I couldn't be arsed , I wanted to finish and end a nightmare. 
Later in the evening we heard other Coast to Coasters talking about their experiences of the day, a fair number who were coming through to Patterdale, had reached the halfway point, walked down into Grasmere then caught taxis or got public transport to get here. Tomorrow morning I meet another guy who done the same walk today as me, he rescued my full Coast to Coast walk for me, all will be revealed on day 4

1 comment:

  1. Frightened me to death... There was no mud on you, it had rained so hard it had washed it away. I've never seen you so wet.

    ReplyDelete