Wednesday 31 May 2017

Day 11 23rd May

Penultimate day, the time had fled by since I started 10 days ago, the first feeling of sadness, knowing that there was only two days left, only my second long distance walk but they are so bloody addictive. Never mind, plenty of time to think where next, today and tomorrow I've got two 18 milers to do, today from Clay Bank Top to Glaisdale, then from there to the lovely  finale at Robin Hoods Bay.
I was waiting in the pub waiting for my lift back to rejoin the route, the landlord said that he'd take me with an American couple, I assumed it would be the couple in the pub last night. I went outside, the couple weren't there yet, I climbed into the back seat of the car, the driver and the couple then came, got in, we all said "good morning" and away we went. As soon as we started moving the girl sitting alongside me turned "Mick?", err "Christino?", the guy in front turned round, "Andy?" he said hi Mick. If it wasn't the couple I'd very briefly met by the "Brothers Parting Stone" days ago in the Lake District, and on that day all we could see of each other was small faces peeping through waterproof hoods and coats. We soon reached the drop off point, the three of us got out, said a fond farewell to the Buck Inn landlord, and we all agreed that we'd walk together. We only spent 3 hours together, they were only going as far as The Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge, but the three hours we walked together was probably the nicest three hours I'd spent all week. Now I am not the world's best conversationalist, not by a long way, but the three of us never stopped chatting till we parted. A real, genuine and honest couple, mid thirties, pushing forty maybe, there wasn't much we hadn't heard about our lives in that short space of time. I stopped for a cuppa in the Lion, Andy and "Cricket" as Christino is called by everybody, (I soon found that out), had a bit of lunch, I then said my goodbyes, really sad that I hadn't had the opportunity to see them more. By the way Andy, you will probably never come across this blog I'm doing, but good luck and all the best in your new upcoming career.

First photo of the day, so busy talking....The Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge
Ok, where we we, those first three hours sped by, very easy walking, once the first gentle ascent was done it really was plain sailing, taking in pleasant moorland views, I like the moors, barren, often very few people around, suits me down to a T. I had a short road walk after the Lion, passing by an old travellers marker stone, Fat Betty, tradition says to leave a portion of food etc then take one that a previous person had left. In days gone by perhaps a nice thing, I didn't bother doing it though, nobody is going to starve in that area in this day and age, plus I couldn't be bothered taking my rucksack off to get to a snack bar.
"Fat Betty"
I soon left the road, the sun was out in force at this time, I waited my time to find shade and rest and have my lunch, the chance soon arrived, a place called Trough House, a small stone building, locked, it could very well be a shooting lodge, there were many grouse butts around this area. I sat round the back in full shade, had lunch, my daily energizing bottle of lucozade, took my boots off, rested my feet then carried on after 20 minutes or so. Thats as long as I ever take for a rest when out walking, its normally 5/10 minutes two or three times during the day, I just get restless and fidgety, its just my way. It was then a pleasant easy stroll across Glaisdale Moor before coming into Glaisdale, a nice pretty looking village sitting in the beautiful Esk Valley, bathed in the afternoons sun when I arrived.
Moorland views down into the Esk Valley



Track leading down into Glaisdale
 The evening accommodation was the Arncliffe Arms, a busyish village pub, nothing special but room was clean, decent food and good ale, looking forward now to tomorrows finale, mixed emotions, sad and glad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment